English/Language Arts Teacher- Excel Center Muncie
Company: Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana
Posted on: May 24, 2023
Are you looking for a more flexible teaching career than the
traditional school setting? Do you enjoy being part of a supportive
and mission-based community focused on enhancing generational
impact? At the Muncie Goodwill Excel Center, school days are 8:30
AM to 4:30 PM. Mondays through Thursdays are instructional and
Fridays are flexible/preparatory days each week.The English
Instructor, The Excel Center implements and develops The Excel
Center curriculum and the success of its students. The Instructor
facilitates learning for students attending The Excel Center,
meeting students where they are. The Instructor employs a
student-centered approach effectively tailoring the instructional
strategies to the student's needs approaching instruction with
grit, creativity, and innovation. Strategies include but are not
limited to direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars,
self-paced lessons, and online learning environments. The
Instructor employs high-impact instructional practices and
motivational techniques. The position works with the instructional
team in meeting the educational goals and adhering to the Indiana
State Standards as well as continuously improving curriculum and
instruction.Example Duties and Activities
- Designs and implements curricula and assessments that meet
academic standards and measure progress towards student mastery of
the Indiana Academic Standards, Common Core State Standards, and
21st Century Skills. Builds lessons around student needs, including
online learning tools and content.
- Identifies and tracks relevant student/school data/staff
performance to set improvement and/or achievement goals and to
drive future evaluation and feedback.
- Builds solid relationships with students. Communicates student
progress effectively with students and colleagues; partners with
staff to ensure student success.
- Communicates strengths and areas for improvement frequently and
uses restorative approaches to resolve conflict.
- Develops personal professional/performance goals and action
plans to reach goals. Reflects on prior goals and makes adjustments
to professional practice and goals.
- Works directly with the school director to develop and
implement school-wide goals around graduation outcomes, enrollment
needs, student achievement, retention, etc.
- Works with coaches and leadership staff to aid students'
progress toward graduation and postsecondary planning.
- Assists staff with professional development, training, and goal
- Sets and maintains a high-performance culture for staff and
- Participates in student recruitment, enrollment, and outreach
- Supports the school community by attending events, outreach
- Perform other duties as needed that are assigned by school
- Degree and Credential Requirements - Bachelor's degree in
subject specialty and a current Indiana Teaching Certification in
the subject specialty, or the willingness to obtain an emergency
- Instructional Strategies - Employs various approaches, learning
styles, and channels to instruct and engage students, such as
communicating content in terms they can comprehend, organizing
talking points for clarity, and repeating arguments when necessary.
Uses a wide range of teaching devices and methodologies appropriate
to the class content, the learners' level, goals, and priorities
which increase student achievement results.
- Communication Skills - Articulates thoughts and expresses ideas
effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal
communication skills, as well as listening skills to comprehend
others' needs. Delivers information in person, in writing, and in a
- Information Monitoring/Reporting - Collects and reviews
information to manage or improve the achievement of learning
- Teamwork - Works well with others and makes valued
contributions in a team setting in order to achieve the required
goals and outcomes. Contributes to creating a positive learning
environment that promotes productivity, mentoring, teamwork, and
- Adaptability - Maintains effectiveness when experiencing shifts
in priorities; adjusts effectively while maintaining a positive
learning environment.Preferred Requirements
- Industry Standards - Displays a working knowledge of the
Indiana Academic Standards, Common Core State Standards, and 21st
Century Skills and knowledge of disciplinary literacy.
- Teaching Expertise - Plans and delivers instruction and
evaluation of student learning, ideally for high school-age
students in nontraditional and/or in an adult education
- Diversity Awareness - Works with diverse populations including
people who have experienced barriers to their education.
- Technical Knowledge - Has working knowledge of G Suite and MS
Office, as well as student information systems.Other Requirements
- Background Screening - All candidates must pass a
pre-employment background check.Benefits: Full-time employees may
participate in a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Continuing education and leadership development as well as
- Comprehensive health plan
- Paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Parental and sabbatical leaves
- Nationally recognized preventive health and wellness
- Section 125 pretax health spending account, dependent care
spending account, and premiums
- Retirement plan with generous match or contribution into
Teachers' Retirement Fund for eligible employees
- Eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
programGoodwill Education InitiativesGoodwill strongly believes it
is essential to raise education attainment levels in Indiana. Not
only are the lifetime earnings of high school graduates
significantly higher than those of dropouts, children of high
school graduates are 50% less likely to drop out of high school
than the children of dropouts are. Goodwill provides opportunities
for adults (The Excel Center) and youth (Indianapolis Metropolitan
High School).The Excel Center ModelThe Excel Center is operated by
Goodwill Education Initiatives, Inc., a not-for-profit organization
formed by Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.Recognizing that
nearly a half million working-age Hoosiers lack a high school
diploma, Goodwill opened The Excel Center for adults in 2010. The
Excel Center is a tuition-free public high school for adults
offering an Indiana Core 40 high school diploma.Mission and Values:
Goodwill of Central and Southern Indiana is an EEO
Keywords: Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana, Muncie , English/Language Arts Teacher- Excel Center Muncie, Education / Teaching , Muncie, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...