Automation & Weld Technician
Company: North American Stamping Group
Posted on: September 14, 2022
"An Equal Opportunity Employer" It is the policy of North
American Stamping Group to provide employment, training, promotion,
and other conditions of Employment without regard to race, color,
religion, national origin, sex, age or status as a qualified
individual with a disability or other status protected by law.
MUST HAVE PRIOR EXPERIENCE AS A CONTOLS AND WELD ENGINEER.
GENERAL SUMMARY The Automation, Controls and Weld Engineer, Shared
Services or plant operations is a member of the Advanced
Manufacturing Engineering group and operations group at plant
level, and reports to the Senior Manager, Automation Controls and
Weld Engineering or Plant Manufacturing Engineering Manager. This
position is responsible for the oversite of all automated equipment
and weld processes at all NASG facilities, existing and future.
Uses programming, controls, and engineering skills to perform
improvements, assist plants in trouble shooting of existing, and
development of new value-add equipment for awarded business.
Responsible for developing new welding techniques, new procedures,
and new applications of welding and metal assembly equipment.
Responsible for problem solving that involves assembly of metals
and utilizes knowledge of the latest general engineering principles
to improve machine efficiency and process improvement. Addresses
any engineering changes, and ensures all processes are performed
efficiently and meet, or exceed, customer and NASG requirements.
Works with the Cost Estimating group to ensure that any newly
awarded business has the correct and most cost-efficient method for
value-add equipment. Focus on commonization of equipment and
processes across the company.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. Develop, estimate, purchase & implement assembly tooling &
equipment for NASG projects.
B. Develop, estimate and gain quotes for new assembly processes as
future business dictates.
C. Assist in development of the most efficient process layouts and
product flow based on TQPS.
D. Communicate project status to other departments and
manufacturing plants as required.
E. Manage suppliers in the design, construction, and installation
of new assembly equipment.
F. Assist plants in the development and maintenance of work
instructions that will be in compliance with general TS-16949
G. Responsible to interface with internal/external customers and
support plant team members in problem solving with regard to
production, customer, and supplier concerns.
H. Develop Engineering solutions to prevent the occurrence of
nonconformities relating to product or processes.
I. Create and manage project budgets. Create and manage purchase
orders for new assembly equipment.
Automation and Controls
A. To implement, tune, maintain, repair, troubleshoot or alter
B. Troubleshoot and track automation issues to perform root cause
C. Support the development, construction, and installation of new
D. Modify or design machine programming on new or existing
E. Analyze automated equipment for continuous improvement and give
recommendations to help the plants improve their automated
manufacturing/ assembly processes.
F. Assist with materials to support training, to include predictive
and preventative maintenance programs for automated types of
G. Maintain automated equipment program backups.
A. Develop process and production plans for new welding automotive
B. Works closely with Product Engineering group on Simultaneous
C. Set up new welding processes, train manufacturing staff, and
hand over completed welding processes to manufacturing teams.
D. Research & Develop new advancements in Welding equipment and
Processes that might be useful to NASG. - Examples: (Cold Metal
Transfer) (Laser Welding) (Laser Brazing)
E. Prepares technical reports as a result of the new research,
development, and preventative maintenance investigations.
F. Establish weld procedures to guide production team relating to
G. Supports technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure
worker's compliance with established welding procedures,
restrictions, and standards in the Automotive Industry.
H. Performs experimental welding to evaluate new equipment,
techniques, and materials.
I. To actively contribute to the Simultaneous Engineering
activities where welding processes can impact machine design.
Education: (list using bullet points)
- Associate's degree or equivalent experience in Electrical
Engineering / Industrial Electronics / Robotics / Electrical
Controls / Automation / Metallurgy.
- Bachelor's degree preferred, equivalent experience in the field
is acceptable. Experience:
- 5 or more years' experience in automotive metal manufacturing
- 3 - 5 years working experience in a related field.
- Automotive manufacturing experience in machine control
- Value-add equipment build experience preferred.
- Troubleshooting equipment experience preferred.
- Working experience with electrical and mechanical systems and
Robotics / PLC programming and troubleshooting.
- Experience in the development and maintenance of welding
programs and equipment (Resistance, Projection, and GMAW).
- Experience in design and/or quote of weld programs and/or
- Experience with MIG welding and resistance welding. Certified
A.W.S. or equivalent is considered a plus.Personal/Technical
- Basic math
- Analytical / critical thinking skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Highly motivated, ambitious self-starter.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects.
- Possess strong project management skills.
- Strong understanding for elimination of waste.
- General understanding of APQP requirements.
- Ability to compile effective and concise visual reports.
- Working knowledge of P.M. systems and methodology.
- Able to work in a fast paced, multicultural work
- Familiar with root cause analysis and problem-solving
- Strong understanding of steel stampings and welding
- Ability to maintain on call flexibility to control abnormal
- Active listener with effective communication and interpersonal
- Ability to be flexible in a constantly changing production
- General understanding and working knowledge of basic
- Ability to read component, assembly, and equipment drawings and
- Active listener with effective leadership, communication, and
- Ability to function both independently and with good judgment
in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of safety legislation in general industry and
press related standards.
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels inside and
outside of the organization.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, in a leadership role
during plant product launches.
- Ability to implement controls and maintain safety, quality,
cost, for assigned areas.
- Working knowledge of equipment automation, robotics, and
- Must be able to compile information and report that to the
organization in a timely manner.
- Basic knowledge Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
(PFMEA) is preferable.
- Ability to troubleshoot and track issues, drive root cause
analysis and correct suppliers.
- Ability to read and evaluate electrical, mechanical, and
customer part drawings.
- Strong understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously,
work efficiently within time constraints and deadlines, and handle
- General understanding and working knowledge of manufacturing,
assembly, and welding equipment and tooling including design,
automation, robotics, or manufacturing processes (and all secondary
related processes) relating to automotive stamping.
- Thorough understanding of company product, trade terminology,
quality management and control systems and techniques,
manufacturing processes including material controls, work flow,
scheduling, machine operation, and company policies as
- Solid working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
and other computer-based applications (e.g., MS Word, MS Excel, MS
PowerPoint, MS Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- Working knowledge and experience with AutoCad, Rockwell
Software: Logix500, Logix5000, PanelBuilder32, FactoryTalkView,
DriveExplorer, Siemens, and other related software.
- Proficiency in design and engineering software, AutoCAD
software (mechanical and electrical) preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience with programming for PLCs,
robots, HMIs is required.
- PLCs robots, HMIs, motors, servos, hydraulics, pneumatics and
other related equipment experience is required. o Platforms:
Mitsubishi FX, A, Q and Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, FlexLogix,
CompactLogix, and SoftLogix, Siemens, Fanuc, ABB, and Panasonic. o
Architectures: Local, ControlNet, Ethernet I/P, DeviceNet, DH+/RIO,
DF1, and RS232/422.North American Stamping Group is a drug-free and
Keywords: North American Stamping Group, Muncie , Automation & Weld Technician, Professions , Muncie, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!